The agronomist is the technical support person who provides recommendations to improve the process of growing farm crops, produce and fruit, residential gardens and lawns and other agronomy and horticulture crops. Using data provided by soil analysis and knowledge about Fertrell products, they suggest methods to increase yields and prevent problems with soil and crops. Their job is to support customers, salespersons, and dealers by providing technical information about Fertrell agronomy products and their uses.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Respond to agronomy inquiries (phone, email, and in person) from customers, salespersons, and dealers.
- Review soil tests and provide recommendation reports that promote best practices for soil conservation and plant growth, within customer budget.
- Complete formulas for custom fertilizer blends as needed based on review of soil analysis and recommendation reports.
- Provide relevant information to customers and other team members to facilitate the sale of Fertrell agronomy products.
- Provide pricing on Fertrell agronomy products as requested by customers, salespersons, and/or dealers.
- Visit customers with salespeople and/or dealers to provide expertise and promote Fertrell agronomy products.
- Basic understanding of Fertrell animal nutrition products as it pertains to making agronomy recommendations and representing the entire Fertrell product line at tradeshows and when working with dealers and customers.
- Attend trade shows, conferences, and customer meetings as scheduled.
- Provide presentations as requested.
- Write articles for the newsletter and blog.
- Research and write product specifications for promotional materials (fact sheets, advertisements, flyers, rack cards, and/or catalog descriptions).
- Provide certification/ingredient letters to confirm sources of components as requested.
- Acquire and maintain state registrations for sale of agronomy products and manage sales tonnage reporting for all states where products are registered.
- Plan, conduct, and record results of field trials, centered on the use of Fertrell agronomy products. Communicate results of field trials through presentations, articles, and blog posts.
- Earned B.S. in Agronomy, Crop Science, Plant Science, Soil Science, or similar.
- Strong communication skills—including listening, speaking and writing effectively.
- Solid analytical, problem-solving, and computation skills.
- Effective presentation skills—both verbal and written.
- Ability to effectively manage and meet deadlines.
- Basic computer skills and familiarity with Microsoft Office software—Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule including overnight travel.
- A belief in organic and sustainable agricultural practices.
- Respect for multiple cultures, appearances, and beliefs.
- Upbeat, personable attitude with genuine eagerness to be successful.
- Farming experience of any kind is desirable.
- Visibility of the position requires maintaining a professional appearance consistent with client expectations and providing a positive company image.
- A valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
This is a Bainbridge, PA position, but requires frequent travel throughout the U.S. Working conditions are normal for an office environment. Work requires significant local and regional travel including overnight travel and weekend and/or evening work.
- Ability to sit or stand at a desk throughout the day, doing computer and typical office work.
- Ability to spend long hours traveling in a vehicle.
- Physical condition to allow walking fields, often on uneven ground, with growers.
- No known allergies to animals, as farm visits and contact with livestock are part of this position.
- Ability to lift up to 60 lbs. occasionally